12 Questions With Rose Matafeo
Comedians can be a complex bunch of people (not always)... and that's why here at Comedy Central we endeavour to bridge the gap between civilian and comedian by interviewing them with interesting and not so interesting questions. Ahead of our festival in NZ (Another Frickin' Festival... no it's actually called that.) we chatted to award nominated comedian Rose Matafeo. Rose will be performing her solo show at AFF as well starring in the killer gala nights along a stellar line up of comics.
Rose was nominated for Best Newcomer at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and also made her Edinburgh debut with her show Finally Dead, which enjoyed success from both audiences and critics alike.
1. What’s your opinion about being interviewed?
I try to keep a low profile, obviously excluding my Twitter, Instagram and FB accounts.
2. What would you be doing right now if you weren’t doing this interview?
Drinking my coffee when it was hot, rather than luke warm.
3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoying or excellent have these first three questions been? (including this one.)… with 10 being excellent.
I'm not sure where this interview is going. Also, why are we in an abandoned warehouse?
4. A good interview with a comedian requires the questions to be unfunny in order for the comedian to then give funny responses. What are your thoughts on this premise?
I think it's fine, but you're really not asking me anything of substance. Ask me something like "what is my greatest fear in life" or something deep.
5. When did you decide you wanted to become a comedian?
When I realised that laughter is truly the best medicine. Unfortunately it turns out that it still did not cure my scalp psoriasis.
6. If you weren’t a comedian, what would you be?
I honestly don't know, and it scares me because I definitely can't keep this shit up.
7. When you tell people you’re a comedian, and they obnoxiously ask you to “tell them a joke” what do you say?
I say I was lying when I told them I was a comedian and then they ask why I lied and I say that I guess it's because I feel like a failure and pretend to be other people and they say "haha great joke" and I'm like "yeah, that was the joke definitely".
8. What’s your worst heckler experience?
I had a lady the other day that just yelled "NO" after a punchline, and that definitely wasn't the worst experience.
9. You’ll be performing across NZ for Another Frickin’ Festival, would you say audiences are starkly different in different parts of the world? If so, which audiences would you say NZ audiences are most like?
NZ audiences are nice and pretty similar to those around the world, except there is a high chance that an old school friend/family member/ex-lover is in the crowd purely due to our small population, so that's pretty terrifying.
10. What will your solo show be about at AFF?
It's about how if my life were a rom com, I'd be my own sassy best friend and not the main character. It's sort of about personality and the birth control pill and there are no jokes in it.
11. Please sum up the people of NZ in three words:
Tender, juicy and rich in iron.
12. Is your opinion about being interviewed still the same as what it was at the start of this interview?
It got a bit better, but I'm still wondering why we did this in a warehouse down by the docks and why you have a gun in your hand???
Comedy Central is Bringing Back the Ultimate Comedy Festival: Clusterfest
The three day festival of comedy, music, installations that is the ultimate Clusterfu-fest...
12 Questions With Guy Williams
NZ Comedian Guy Williams loves (and hates) being interviewed... here are some more thoughts from him on that very topic.
12 Questions With Rose Matafeo
Ahead of our festival in NZ, we asked Rose Matafeo some questions about comedy, comedy and comedy...
11 Questions with Guy Montgomery
Curious about the life of a comedian? Here are 11 questions we asked to get some insights ahead of our festival across NZ!
Guess Jimmy Carr’s One Liners and Win Tickets to his Live Stand Up Show!
How well do you know Jimmy Carr’s comedy? Find out and you could win a double pass to his latest show!
NZ is Getting A Summer Comedy Festival...
Hold on to your jaws… Comedy Central is presenting a comedy festival In New Zealand across four big nights.
Fans of The Big Lez Show Voted on the next Spin Off... Here are the Results!
We asked you which character should get a spin off and your answers were skitz…
Spot The Toy & Win Some Of LoveHoney's Broad City Goodies
Think you know your lipsticks from your pocket rockets? Take our challenge and you could win a whole bunch of Broad City sex toys…
The Jim Jefferies Shows Podcast Is Out!
You read right… Jim Jefferies has launched a podcast series based off his Comedy Central show The Jim Jefferies Show.
Win A Signed Skateboard From The Creators Of The Big Lez Show
Want to be the proud owner of one of these boards? Here's how...
GALLERY: Every New Sasquatch in The Big Lez Show
A tribute to some new furry friends…
There’s Now A Kiwi Sasquatch in The Big Lez Show…
He travelled across the Tasman… on his stand up paddle board.