11 Questions with Guy Montgomery
Ahead of Another Frickin’ Festival in New Zealand, we asked some of the comedians performing 11 “important” questions… in this edition we’re chatting with Guy Montgomery.
Guy is an award winning comedian and writer who is also known as the co-host of the internationally acclaimed podcast ‘The Worst Idea of All Time’… he was also co-creator of our Not for TV series “No Experience Necessary”
1. What’s your opinion about being interviewed?
I do not mind being interviewed. Sometimes I even enjoy it.
2. What would you be doing right now if you weren’t doing this interview?
I would be working on the thing I am meant to be working on. I am treating this interview as respite from actual work. For your reference, I have also left and come back to this interview over ten times.
3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoying or excellent have these first three questions been? (including this one.)… with 10 being excellent.
4. A good interview with a comedian requires the questions to be unfunny in order for the comedian to then give funny responses. What are your thoughts on this premise?
Probably sound. It is more likely a comedian will be funny of their own volition than by being cornered into a jokey response because of a gag question.
5. When did you decide you wanted to become a comedian?
When all of my friends started pursuing their careers and I was still working multiple hospo jobs and I thought, this does not look promising.
6. If you weren’t a comedian, what would you be?
I think about this often and as someone with no transferable skills I honestly think I’d be living at home with my parents.
7. When you tell people you’re a comedian, and they obnoxiously ask you to “tell them a joke” what do you say?
8. What’s your worst heckler experience?
When I was starting out in Toronto I performed at a weed room (a room where performers and audience members alike are allowed to be stoned). It was the very definition of trying to run before I could walk, I could barely write and perform jokes sober. Anyhow half way through my set I heckled myself, internally by saying “You suck.” and then forgot anything I was supposed to say. I just left the stage and walked through the middle of the audience to the back of the room. Awesome stuff.
9. You’ll be performing across NZ for Another Frickin’ Festival, would you say audiences are starkly different in different parts of the world? If so, which audiences would you say NZ audiences are most like?
I think audiences are more or less the same everywhere! There are no accented laughs, if you are being funny people will laugh.
10. Please sum up the people of NZ in three words:
Hard to define.
11. Is your opinion about being interviewed still the same as what it was at the start of this interview?
It is entirely unchanged.
While you wait for the show, check out Guy's Not for TV series "No Experience Necessary":
Win Tickets To Jim Jefferies' Aussie Tour PLUS Meet The Man Himself!
Attention die-hard Jim Jefferies fans: Here's how you can meet old mate...
Check Out The Star-Spangled Stand-Up Tour Coming to Sydney and Melbourne!
Want 2 for 1 tickets to some of America’s freshest talent touring Oz?
Win A Comedy Central Snack Box To Celebrate 420!
To celebrate the 20th of April, we’ve created a snack box like no other.
Yippee Ki-Roast, Mother F@$%ers! Bruce Willis Is Comedy Central's Next Roastee!
“This ain’t the first time I’ll be tied to a chair and held hostage by a group of humorless assholes for a couple hours,” - B. Willis.
Celebrate Pi Day By Winning Tickets To Jonathan Pie's Live Show!
It's a day to celebrate pi, eat lots of pie, and win tickets to Jonathan Pie! You're welcome.
Tell Us Your Most Extreme Fast Food Combo & Win Tickets To Jim Gaffigan's Live Stand Up Show!
What's the craziest junk food combination you can think of? Get creative and you could win a double pass to his latest show!
Comedy Central is Bringing Back the Ultimate Comedy Festival: Clusterfest
The three day festival of comedy, music, installations that is the ultimate Clusterfu-fest...
12 Questions With Guy Williams
NZ Comedian Guy Williams loves (and hates) being interviewed... here are some more thoughts from him on that very topic.
12 Questions With Rose Matafeo
Ahead of our festival in NZ, we asked Rose Matafeo some questions about comedy, comedy and comedy...
11 Questions with Guy Montgomery
Curious about the life of a comedian? Here are 11 questions we asked to get some insights ahead of our festival across NZ!
Guess Jimmy Carr’s One Liners and Win Tickets to his Live Stand Up Show!
How well do you know Jimmy Carr’s comedy? Find out and you could win a double pass to his latest show!
NZ is Getting A Summer Comedy Festival...
Hold on to your jaws… Comedy Central is presenting a comedy festival In New Zealand across four big nights.